Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Bonus Recipe: Crunchy Peanut Thai Chicken

Since I was so busy earlier this week and didn't get a chance to post on Monday, you guys get a special bonus post today!

A few months ago, my mom made this chicken while we were over for family dinner.  It was interesting, delicious, and quick to prepare.  Always looking for recipes I can make in under a half an hour, I had her pass along the recipe.

Bear with me during the ingredients because you may stop and ask what the heck mayo is doing in this recipe, but I assure you it is necessary.  This recipe is adopted from a Betty Crocker recipe my mom had received from her friend.  This version serves 2.  Prep is about 10 minutes and it cooks in about 20.

Crunchy Peanut Thai Chicken

Ingredients:

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/2 c. plain panko bread crumbs (I found these in the international food section of my grocery store)
1/4 c.  finely chopped dry-roasted peanuts (use a nut chopper for the easiest method for a fine chop)
1/4 c. purchased peanut sauce (I used Dynasty Thai Peanut Satay Sauce, also found in the international foods section of my grocery store)
2 tbsp. mayonnaise (I used Hellman's low fat to make it a little lighter in calories
Additional purchased peanut sauce, if desired

Directions:

1. Heat oven to 400 degrees Farenheit.  Line baking sheet with foil; spray with cooking spray.  Between pieces of plastic wrap, waxed paper, or an open large ziploc bag, place each chicken breast smooth side down.  Gently pound with flat side of meat mallet or rolling pin until about 1/2" all over thickness.

2. In shallow dish, mix together peanut sauce and mayo.  In another shallow dish (I used pie dishes), mix together panko and peanuts.  Dip chicken in peanut sauce mixture, then dip in panko mixture.  Place on baking sheet.

3. Bake 15-20 minutes, turining once, until juice of chicken is clear when center of thickest part is cut or at 165 degrees and coating is golden brown.  Serve with additional peanut sauce.



I served with rice and vegetables, but a coconut noodle would also be good!  It was gobbled up and I didn't get a chance to grab a pic before running out the door, but here is the image provided by Betty Crocker.  The texture is crunchy but the warm peanuts also become smooth to the bite.  With the peanut sauce coating, it keeps the chicken very moist!

20-Minute Thai Peanut Chicken

-Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment