Monday, May 13, 2013

Recipe: Creamy Garlic Parmesan Pasta

Hello blogosphere!  My apologies for being MIA for a week.  I was out of the country on business, then recovering from some severe jet lag/stomach flu issues in our household.

I hope all the moms out there had an amazing Mother's Day!  It was great to spend some time with and see my mom yesterday.

Since I've been out of the country for a week, I didn't really have any new recipes that I have tried.  I figured I would share with you a recipe I've made a few times that we really love!  I plan to make this dish as a side tonight to go with some chicken as long as Mr. Bear has recovered from the flu.

This is called Creamy Garlic Parmesan Pasta.  I use it as a replacement for Fettuccine Alfredo.  You can make it lighter, and it is similar in taste to Pasta-Roni's Garlic Parmesan pasta.  I originally got the recipe from a blog called "The Cheese Pusher".  Original recipe here.  My version cuts calories by using a light butter and a fat free half and half.

Creamy Garlic Parmesan Pasta 

2 tsp olive oil (I use extra virgin)
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp butter (I use Land o' Lakes light butter with canola oil.  It is lower in calories)
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
3 cups chicken stock
1/2 lb angel hair pasta (you can use spaghetti, but I prefer the thin noodles)
1 cup grated parmesan cheese (you can use reduced fat if you prefer, but I usually just use the full fat parm)
3/4 cup fat free half and half (original recipe called for heavy cream, but I like to lighten it up and it tastes the same)
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley

In a pot, bring the olive oil to medium-low heat.  Add the minced garlic and stir, allowing it to cook for 1-2 minutes.  Do not let the garlic burn!  Mix in the butter until melted.  Add the salt, pepper, and chicken stock. Raise the heat to high and let the mixture come to a rolling boil.

Once you see your mixture come to a rolling boil, add the pasta and cook for as long as the box's directions indicate.  After reaching the pasta's cook time, reduce the stove to medium heat and mix in the parmesan until it is completely melted.  Then, turn off the heat and stir in the half and half and parsley.  Serve immediately.

Tips

1. I prefer to make this in a non-stainless steel pot.  I use Anolon Advanced cookware so that the cheese isn't too difficult to clean out of the pot.

2. My favorite brand of fat free half and half is Land o' Lakes, but I find that if you can find a generic store brand it is frequently comparable.

3. This recipe usually makes 3 or so side servings in our household.  Adjust as necessary.

4. If you don't have fresh parsley, half the amount and use dried.

-Danielle


No comments:

Post a Comment