Monday, May 20, 2013

Recipe: Super Easy Ranch Pork Chops

Once again, I apologize for the delayed posts.  Last week was another travel week for work, and I was so tired I didn't have a chance to post anything.

Continuing on with the excuses, Mr. Bear and I didn't get much done this weekend that was blog-worthy, so I will start you off with a recipe I really love because it is so easy.

Before I give you the details of this recipe, please know that I used to HATE pork.  Every time I had had pork, it was dry and in desperate need of gallons of sauce to make it palatable.  This recipe changed my mind.  After making this pork, I realized I had only really had pork loin.  Pork chops with the bone in have so much more flavor and are much juicier.

Also note that the first time I made these, I thought the idea of a ranch seasoning packet on meat was strange, but I promise, it makes the dish.

This recipe is adapted from the original here.

Ingredients:


1/2 packet Hidden Valley Ranch Seasoning/Dressing mix
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2-3 pork chops (bone-in) 1/2"-3/4" thick
Dash of paprika

Directions:


Line a cookie sheet with foil.  Place a broiler pan over top of the cookie sheet.  (I don't have a broiler pan, so I use an all metal cooling rack.  I have one similar to this model from BB&B).  Spray broiler pan with non-stick spray that can withstand high heat (like Pam for grilling).

In a small bowl, mix your Ranch seasoning, and black pepper.  Sprinkle the mix liberally over both sides and rub into the pork chops.

Place pork chops in a single layer on top of your broiler rack.  Sprinkle each with a little bit of paprika (amount is up to you).

Bake at 450 degrees Fahrenheit for 20-25 minutes, or until cooked thoroughly.

Baking time provided is for 3/4" chops, reduce cook time if you went with 1/2" chop.
Pork should be cooked until internal temperature at the thickest part reaches 145 degrees Fahrenheit.




Tips:

1. I like to serve with a vegetable, salad and potato (mashed are my favorite with this dish).
2. Your pork chops will likely have a strip of fat along the outside (opposite of the bone, see photo below).  Leave this on during cooking to trap in moisture, but feel free to cut off before serving.

3. If you want, you can cut the chop off the bone before serving too.

Here is what it looks like if you do decide to de-bone.  I again will stress that you should use the bone-in chop, even if you plan to de-bone.  It provides so much more flavor and holds in the moisture.  These get dry if you use the boneless chops.
Ranch Pork Chops. Photo by Boomette
(image courtesy of food.com)


4. Adjust the amount of Hidden Valley to your taste.  I only like a mild ranch flavor so I tend to go light on the ranch seasoning.  Feel free to adjust to your taste.

5. If you don't know what a broiler pan is, read this eHow article.  It is very helpful. :)

-Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment