Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Wedding Wednesday: Fun Traditions

Good Morning and Happy Wednesday!  I hope everyone had an excellent Memorial Day weekend.

Before I go into our Wedding Wednesday topic, I want to send a shout out to my dearest friend, and my maid of honor!  Her wedding is on Friday, and I can't wait to celebrate with her!

Her wedding brings me to the core of this post, FUN wedding traditions.

One of the most common traditions dates back to at least the Victorian era; "Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something Blue, and a Silver Sixpence in your Shoe".  Many brides still try to carry on this tradition today.

The something old signifies the bond with the past; something new is a bright look into the future; something borrowed is supposed to come from a happily married woman to impart her marriage happiness onto the bride; something blue is for purity, love and fidelity; A sixpence in your shoe is to symbolize fortune and prosperity.

Another great way to bring some tradition into your wedding day, is to start a NEW tradition.  Many families have a specific piece of jewelry every bride has incorporated into their outfit.  If you are the first in your family to get married in a while and you want to incorporate tradition, see if there is anything you can incorporate that will link you to "weddings-past" in your family.  You can also start a new tradition with your friends!

During my wedding, my awesome friends from college started a tradition that we will continue this weekend at my MOH's wedding; Pinning.  Before the ceremony, my friends pinned a pin from our university on the underside of my dress, gave me their blessings and we snapped a few photos.  Fast forward a year, and we are now coming up on my friend's wedding.  We plan to do the same.  I'll be passing the pin on to my friend.  As it so happens, it can act as the bride's "something borrowed" since the previous bride is to pin it onto the new bride.

I thought this was a really cool way to keep a reminder of all the amazing people we met during our college years on me as I walked down the aisle.  We weren't in a sorority, but you could definitely do something similar with sorority sisters.

Here is one of the photos the photographer took:


Regardless of what you decide to do, know that traditions are a fun way to do something personal that you, as the bride or groom, only know about.  Besides my friends from college, no one else knew that I had the pin on the underside of my dress.  It created a really special moment when I got to see some of my best girlfriends right before the ceremony.  They helped to calm my nerves, and gave me their best wishes.

Above all, have fun with it!

-Danielle

2 comments:

  1. I've been reading some of the popular and different wedding traditions around the world and I really find it interesting and fun to know. I always enjoy learning how wedding customs differ from one nation to another. Thanks for giving me more ideas on wedding traditions.

    More power to you!

    ReplyDelete